Thursday, August 9, 2012

Product Review: MyFitnessPal (app and website)

I've been super busy these last few weeks as work came to end along with my Rose Bowl water polo career.  We won bronze medals at the Junior Olympics which was exciting, and before I went there I dip dyed my hair bright pink! (Pictures of both of these events can be found on my instagram (and twitter): @hannahgrotz).

So now that water polo is over (and swimming doesn't start until November 1 for Midd), I have to seriously watch my health and fitness.  This means planning daily aerobic workouts for at lead 30 minutes and strength workouts at least three times a week.  Stretching is also very important for being a healthy athlete.  So is nutrition...

During water polo it could be really hard at times to watch what I was eating because we ate out as a team a lot and trust me, water polo players certainly work up an appetite! So while I struggled to find healthy items that would conquer my hunger without busting my diet, I also consumed more than I should now that the season is over.  This means I have to cut down on the amount I'm used to eating because now my workouts are less intense.

I recently discovered this free app, MyFitnessPal, for all Apple products, Android phones, Blackberry phones, and Windows phones that is basically a calorie counter.  I'm used to writing down what I've eaten in my journal, but it's so much easier (and accurate!!) to use this app.  It has a ton of different foods from different brands and restaurants, therefore I'm very happy with it so far.  You can also track how much water you're drinking and how much aerobic exercise and strength training you do daily, and subtracts calories burned from your total intake.



One of the features I really like is a chart that shows how much fat, carbs, protein, sodium, and various vitamins you have consumed and compares it to how much you should be consuming.



Over all, I'm very satisfied with the product!



Here's one of my favorite songs at the moment:


2 comments:

  1. Great review!

    sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song!! It is so amazing! :D Thank you for leaving me a comment on my blog! Sorry, I am just getting back to you, but thank you again!

    ReplyDelete